FCPS has released multiple draft calendars, not just for the 2023-2024 school year – but the following 2 school years as well. We are sharing FCPS’ summary and PDF documents here, for ease of sharing with the community (BoardDocs Source Link). This post and these documents were created on Saturday, January 14th, at appx. 2pm. The summary and documents are below the work session and school board meeting information. It is our understanding that the intent is to choose a single framework (Blue, Green, Orange, or Purple), and then implement that for the next 3 years.
To follow the calendar conversation, please be aware of these upcoming dates:
School Board Work Sessions discussing the calendar:
- Tuesday, January 17th from 2:30p-4:00p
- Tuesday, January 31st from 1:00p-4:00p
The School Board is scheduled to vote on the calendar(s) on Thursday, February 9th. Those meetings can also be viewed live at the links above.
Opportunities for Public Comment on the Calendar:
Please note that registration for public comment at school board meetings opens the Friday before the meeting and closes at 5:00pm the Tuesday before the meeting. You may provide your comment in person at Luther Jackson Middle School, through live virtual testimony, or through pre-recorded video testimony.
- Thursday, January 26th – School Board Meeting, 7:00pm
- Thursday, February 9th – School Board Meeting, 7:00pm
You can also contact your School Board member directly. Please find your representatives and their contact information at this link (click here).
Summary from FCPS regarding the calendar drafts (link here):
Draft calendars have been created for the 2023-24, 2024-25, and 2025-26 school years. Three frameworks were developed:
- Draft blue calendar: starting 2 weeks before Labor Day, 2-week winter break, 180 instructional days
- Draft orange calendar: starting 2 weeks before Labor Day, shortened winter break, 180 instructional days
- Draft green calendar: starting 1 week before Labor Day, shortened winter break, 180 instructional days
- Draft purple calendar: starting 2 weeks before Labor Day, 2-week winter break, 177 instructional days
Calendars were developed using the following criteria:
- Federal, state and Virginia Department of Education guidance
- Superintendent’s priorities
- School Board input
- Student absentee data
- Staff absentee data
- Surrounding jurisdictions’ calendars
- Survey Results
- Calendar Feedback Committee input
Background Documents re: Calendar Draft Creation Process:
2023-2024 Proposed Draft Calendar Options
2024-2025 Proposed Draft Calendar Options
2025-2026 Proposed Draft Calendar Options