On August 29, 2017, Fairfax County will hold a special At-Large School Board Election.
SEPTA sent a questionnaire to each of the four candidates in advance of the election to find out more about them and their views on Special Education in FCPS. Their responses (in alphabetical order) can be found here:
- Sandra Allen’s Responses
- Chris Grisafe’s Responses
- Karen Keys-Gamarra’s Responses
- Michael Owens’ Response
Please take some time to read what they have written and keep an eye out for Candidate Forums where you can meet candidates in person prior to the election. Most of all, VOTE. There is no better way to protect our students needs than taking an active role in the election process that will determine the stewards of their educational future.
FACTS ABOUT THE AT LARGE SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVE ELECTION:
- In Person Voting: In local precincts on August 29, from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- In Person Absentee Voting: has started and will continue through Saturday August 26th.
- Voter Registration Deadline: August 14th
- Deadline to apply for a mail in absentee ballot: Tuesday, August 22nd;
- Deadline for receipt of absentee ballots: 5:00 PM on Tuesday, August 29th
- Location to find precincts, sample ballots, other election questions: http:/Fairfaxcounty.gov/Elections
After the election, SEPTA’s Advocacy committee will launch ongoing work by scheduling meetings in conjunction with School Board and meetings. We will be monitoring for opportunities to take action and improve education and opportunities for our students. Please send suggestions or comments to SEPTAadvocacy.